Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Days 11, 12, 13

Hello all - some more updates.  Things I can do semi-on-my-own: use the restroom, get into and out of my recliner, get into and (sort of) out of my bed.  The strength is coming back in my quad a bit more, so I can lift my own leg up a bit better than a few days ago.  I still need help getting around because my balance and the walker/crutches are...horrible...but, I see a glimpse of independent moving coming!

Last night, Mom and I went and sat outside (me in the wheelchair) of a restaurant in downtown Annapolis and then she wheeled me around the city dock (ouch)...but it was nice to go and do something I would normally do.  Just can't wait to walk again.  I gave up this sit-and-only-watch-tv lifestyle 5 years ago, so it's really hard trying to adjust still.

Saw my physical therapist today, he said I seemed in much better spirits than last week - I told him it was probably the depression wearing off and my finally "accepting" my plight.  Ha.  First thing he did was put me on the bike - four whole minutes, zero resistance - right leg dominant.  I was allowed to push through with my left (bad) leg a little bit, but was supposed to mainly be driving the force with my right leg.  Helped increase range of motion and stretch out all that stuff in my left leg or something science-like sounding.

After the bike, we did more of my normal stuff, stretching and passive movement. Then...moved onto an exercise where I had to abduct and adduct my left leg.  This felt somewhat painful but more...difficult.  Like trying to do a leg press for the first time with 100 pounds.  Or like your first few squats.  When I do it with my other leg, it's a regular old motion that takes no effort!  Anyway, that was my first real exercise on my own with the hip post-surgery.

Anyhoot - my two week follow up with my doctor is in two days, and another physical therapy appointment.  Still no weight-bearing yet.  Aaaaghh.  Can't wait to be able to walk for real in a few weeks!








No comments:

Post a Comment