Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pre-Op Hip Brace Fitting and Physical Therapy

This week I was fitted for my post-surgery hip brace, which will keep my hip from being overextended/moving in directions Dr. Petre does not want it moving.  I also had an appointment with a physical therapist to learn how to properly use crutches for getting around with almost non-weight bearing on left hip - and the proper method to hop up and down the stairs in and out of my basement.  Surgery is 25 July - not sure what time yet.  This week I also purchased a raised toilet seat and a bath tub chair so that I will experience less pain with these self-care issues.  I also purchased new pyrex glass containers so that I can prepare food ahead of time for my basement-dwelling.

This weekend I'm going out of town and will only have a few days to get some last-minute mega walking and working out in, then create a grocery list!  The recovery to "full athleticism" is 4-5 months...I'm hoping to be able to go for short short walks after about 6 weeks.  I'll be out of the office for about 6 weeks due to the issues with mobility, my inability to drive, and chair/desk angle issues.  I'll have to go to physical therapy three times a week for the entire first month until my follow up appointment.  Even 24 hours after my surgery!

For a link on what exactly I'm having done - here's Dr. Petre's website

http://drpetre.com/injuries/common-hip-injuries/hip-labral-repair/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara I just had this done and then some, it looks like the same brace. Did you sleep with it when you were first out, wear it to use the potty etc?

    ReplyDelete